Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Altered Matchbox

:: dia de los muertos :: 
Day of the Dead
Wikipedia

 On November 1st, I created this painting for an art journal spread.
A journal prompt, hosted by Christy Sobolewski at Art Geeks .
I decided to "reuse" my artwork, to created an altered matchbox.
By reducing the size of the artwork, to fit the proportion of the box,
then I copied it on my inkjet printer. 
(you may alter your printed drawing, adding color or design)
STEP 1 -  altering the matchbox.

materials:
1 lager size matchbox
1 photo copy (clipart or original artwork)
cereal box ( cut- out templet for wings)
tacky glue
gesso
acrylic paint
inks
oil pastels
matte medium 
scrap papers / vintage book pages
wire
embellishments 

STEP 2 - combining all the elements to create this altered piece.

:: my shrine ::
a tribute to honor those who have gone before us. 
TO REMEMBER IN PRAYER.



13 comments:

  1. This is wicked cool....WAY WAY cool...I have seen a few altered matchboxes and love them..just don't have any matchboxes around lol I think you and I should swap one lol...I will go find a matchbox if you are up for this...I LOVE LOVE LOVE this and love the entire concept!! Nice job April...really!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debbie
      THANK YOU!! :]
      Glad to read your EXCITEMENT... love it!! ~xx
      Love to swap, anytime, any day ((LOL))

      Delete
  2. double time lol hate when blogger does that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the original and I love how you have altered her, April, to make your fabulous shrine. Such creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janet
      Thank you!
      Glad you enjoyed the art and the inspiration here... love your encouragement. ~xx

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful job on your first painting and making it into a matchbox shrine is awesome! You are so creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karenann
      Thank you for all your loving support and encouragement, always!! ~xx
      Enjoy...

      Delete
  5. The altered matchbox is beautiful. You always come up with such good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janet
      Thank you for your encouragement! ~xx
      Enjoy your visit. :]

      Delete
  6. Wow, this is amazing, April! A lovely way to commemmorate el Dia de los Muertos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andria
      THANK YOU! ~xx
      This celebration, holds a special place in my heart. :]
      Enjoy your visit.

      Delete
  7. This is really super, April! She's just beautiful. I've long been inspired by Dia de Los Muertos and the remembering and honoring of those who have gone before us.

    ReplyDelete